Monday, April 4, 2016

Scorpion, General Conference, Miracles!

So this week was a week of miracles and crazy stuff!! So first of all on Wednesday we went to visit a less active member named Karina. So we go over to her house and her and her two friends are playing hopscotch. So we taught them a lesson and we were about to leave when they invited us to play and my companion was like "Yeah, let´s play for 5 min." So we played for 15 min! It was seriously the funnest thing I´ve ever done on the mission! I felt so much stress leave after and we were so happy! We weren't worrying about numbers or anything! 

Then on Thursday we were just sitting at our desks reading the scriptures when all of a sudden my companion stands up and starts to dance and shake her skirt and was yelling a little bit and I was thinking "Oh it´s probably just a bug or something" and asked her what it was because after she was standing on her chair she said "It´s a scorpion!" So we called our District Leader and we´re like "How do you kill a scorpion?" So he told us to step on it, kill it with a broom, or spray bug spray and light it on fire. So I took a broom and it was so quiet....and I stabbed it! AND I HEARD A CRUNCH!! We both shrieked and the DL was like "what!? what happened?!" and the scorpion died a death by a broom. It was really exciting! Then we had to go through all of our clothes and stuff to see if there were any more.

Then on Friday we had Zone meeting and we left at 7:30 a.m. and it´s an hour to Jinotepe and so we're crowded in this van for an hour and the ZL´s call us and say "You guys need to hurry up because President just called and he´ll be here in a half an hour." We couldn't believe it! So during the Zone meeting President was there. It went a lot smoother than I thought it would go. 

So before I tell you about General Conference there are a few things you need to know first. It´s a mission rule that we can't watch conference if we don't have 4 investigators with us at church to watch it. We have to bring 4 different investigators each session and can't bring the same. If you have 3 investigators you still can't watch it and have to bring one more. 

So on Saturday morning we left our house at 7:00 a.m. not having anyone to go to General Conference and not knowing what to do but contact people. So we contacted people and no luck, so we sat down and said a prayer at 8:30 a.m. and decided to contact every single house on this one street and work our way around. So we contacted and contacted and every house is like "Soy Catolica" which means "I´m Catholic and even if my church's doctrine isn't true I was born a Catholic and I´ll die a Catholic". Then we come to this one house and invite this one lady to church and she says "Sure I want to go to church let me ask my 3 kids if they want to go" So at 9:45 a.m. we began to walk to church with this little family from Costa Rica and we were able to watch Conference with them and the mom loved it so much she wants to go back next week! MIRACLE! Then the afternoon session after lunch we were contacting and we contacted 3 teenage boys and we convinced them to come to church with us! So they came! But we still needed one more investigator and we show up to the church and Mario, one of our investigators is there! We were so happy and we were able to watch Conference! MIRACLE! 

Sunday morning we watched General Conference but we weren't able to listen to the prophet because we were late with a few investigators. Then in the evening everyone that we had committed flaked out on us and we had 14 people committed which means only 4 or 5 people will actually go but nobody came! So we walked around for 2 hours trying to bring people and nobody wanted to come! So we missed that part of conference but we were able to hear a little bit of Elder Holland and the prayer. 

So all in all we brought 11 investigators to church! The most was 12 so we were echando fuego! Then last night the DL called us and said we broke a record in the history of Zone Jinotepe and that we brought 11 investigators the most ever! So for our P-day we didn't sleep but we had a 2 hour drive to Jinotepe and back and we played some sports with the other missionaries which was really fun and boy am I out of shape!

I hope everyone got to enjoy conference! I understood for the most part some of it but when Uchtdorf started to give his talk I was a little lost. It was good over all! I loved the choir and the songs were amazing! Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing! AMAZING! The man that was in the choir that was singing it with all his soul was heart touching!

I don't have my scriptures with me so I don't have anything to share but this.....that we need to look for the good in others. You can always find the bad but a happy home is built on looking for the good in others. Being a missionary your companion does stuff that bugs you and I´ve noticed that if I´m fuming over what she´s doing wrong and not looking at what and how she´s supporting me and serving the Lord, I just have a bad attitude in general. We need to look past the quarreling over little stupid things and focus more on serving and loving the people closest to us because time is short and you never know when you won't have time. I love the saying "The bitter tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone" We need to start today to look for the sunlight in ourselves and in others! Don't dwell on rainstorms and the bad things but look for the good!

Love you all!
Hermana Partridge



This is a picture of the scorpion that was on my companion while we were studying. She looked down and it was on her skirt and she started to do a dance while singing and shaking her skirt. I as like, what´s wrong? And she was on top of her chair saying A SCORPION!! Then we had to kill it.......Poor Scotty the scorpion.
My companion and I LOVE mangos! We throw rocks to get them and use sticks all the time! They´re so good!
 
My companion and I started to play hopscotch with some of these little kids, the little girl is a less active. Let´s just say, it was the most fun I´ve had in a long time!
My breakfast when we don't have food in the house and run to a pulperia! Oreo cereal and chiverias!
 
This is our bathroom where we take bucket showers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment